Most of us spend months working for the perfect beach bod - eating clean, counting calories, tracking macros and slaving away for hours in the gym. Then when we finally reach the beach, we over indulge and throw away those months of hard work to end up right back where we started!!
However this does not have to be the case. You can still enjoy a healthy lifestyle while having fun on holidays and here are my top tips on how to do so...
1. Get active:
This does not mean you have to spend hours on end in the hotel gym - just get moving. Walk, walk, walk...not only will you benefit from the additional exercise but you will also experience the sights up close and personal. Swim a few lengths in the pool, play a game of volleyball on the beach or go cycling with the kids. If it gets you moving its good.
2. Do your research:
One of my favourite things on holidays is eating out yet if your not careful, this can often lead to an excess of calories and fattening foods. To avoid this I always do my research and plan ahead. The trip advisor app is amazing when searching for local restaurants and reviewing the menus.
3. Make it your own:
No matter where you go to eat there is always a healthy option - you might just need to play around with the menu a little. Ask for sauces and dressings on the side, swap chips for vegetables or see if you can get a smaller portion of your favourite meal.
4. A treat a day, keeps the doctor away:
Every place you visit will have that one signature dish they are renowned for; rum cake in the Bahamas, crepes in France, gelato in Italy or paella in Spain. You can't visit these places and not sample their favourite foods - but just be smart. Think of the 80/20 rule where 80% of the foods you eat are whole nutritions foods and the other 20% gives you the freedom to indulge. Limit yourself to one treat a day to keep this indulgence at 20% and don't go over board.
5. Snack smart:
Avoid shoving empty calories in to your mouth through out the day and visit the local supermarket to stock up on smarter snacks such as fruit, nuts or yogurt.
6. Don't drink your calories:
That frozen daiquiri or sex on the beach may sound appealing but they are full of sugar and will leave you feeling bloated and sluggish. Opt for lighter options such as a white-wine spritz, gin and tonic or vodka and soda water with a dash of lemon or lime.
Travelling can leave your body de-hydrated as can sun exposure and alcohol consumption. Drinking a little more water while on holidays will help keep all systems going strong.
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and picked up some helpful tips for your next trip. I would love to hear your feedback so comment below.
Jen - Nutty Nutrition