Laab Gai has to be one of my favourite Thai meals as it is so light and fresh, making it perfect for a summer lunch or dinner option. Follow the recipe for my version below and let me know what you think :)
- Chicken or turkey mince
- 2 large shallots
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice powder
- Bird's eye chillies or dried chilli flakes
- Chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Fresh mint leaves
- Using a food processor, mince chicken fillets or alternatively you can use turkey mince. Brown the mince over medium heat. There is no need to add any oil but if it gets too dry, add a little water to the pan.
- When the mince is cooked, turn off the heat, add shallots and toss until they start to wilt.
- Add 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and 1 tablespoon of lime juice. Toss everything together and taste. If necessary, add more fish sauce or lime juice until you are happy with how it tastes.
- Add 1 tablespoon of rice powder and toss again.
- Add fresh bird's eye chillies or dried chilli flakes according to taste.
- Once you are happy with the level of spice, mix in the chopped coriander and mint leaves. Again judge the quantity according to taste.
Serve and enjoy.